Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ) Treatment in Crowley
The temporomandibular joint, located between your jawbone and temporal bone of the skull helps you move your jaw up and down and sideways while performing simple everyday activities like chewing and talking. It is slightly in front of your ear. Problems associated with this joint are quite common and are referred to as temporomandibular joint disorder or TMJ.
What causes TMJ disorders?
While the medical community has not yet been able to discover the causes of TMJ disorders, dentists have concluded numerous possible factors leading to the development of the disease, such as:
- Injury to the jaw or other associated muscles may lead to serious TMJ disorders.
- Disorder in the articular disc that is responsible to keep the jaw movement smooth.
- Arthritis and inflammation affecting the TMJ that can damage the cartilage.
- Grinding your teeth and clenching your jaw that creates tension in the jaw muscles.
- Infections can trigger the condition.
- As the condition is more common in women than in men, medical researchers suggest there is possible kink between female hormones and TMJ disorders.
Signs and Symptoms
There is a variety of signs and symptoms linked to TMJ disorder, including the following:
- Tenderness in the chewing muscles and jaw joint
- Radiating pain in the face, jaw or neck
- Stiffness in jaw muscles
- Pain when opening or closing mouth, thereby causing difficulty when eating
- Limited movement of the jaw
- Visible change in the way the upper and lower teeth fit together
At Affordable Dentist in Crowley, our specialists offer treatments with one of three ways: exercise, mouth guards, and bite therapy.
Jaw Exercises: We can help you with exercises that can be performed at the convenience of your home while looking in the mirror to help your jaw relax and eliminate teeth clenching. The techniques are specifically designed to help align your jaw again.
Mouth Guards: We can also provide a mouth guard that helps you stop from grinding your teeth and reposition your jaw. The guards can be made using several materials, depending upon your specific issue.
Bite Therapy: You can also choose to go for a “Bite Therapy” session at our office, with our specialized tools to measure bite pressure, correct alignment and relieve pain.
Contact Affordable Dentist in Crowley to Discuss Your Specific Options Regarding TMJ Disorder
Pain resulting from TMJ disorder varies from one person to another. Everyone experiences the condition differently. If you think you have the symptoms, contact our team today at 817-984-5431 to schedule a one-on-one consultation to identify and discuss the steps you need to take to improve your condition.