Tooth Extractions in Crowley
An extraction is the removal of a tooth from its socket in the bone, usually because of decay, disease, trauma and crowding.
Why Do You Need A Tooth Extraction?
If you need to have a tooth removed, Affordable Dentist in Crowley can help. Let’s explore some of the reasons why you would need to have a tooth removed.
You need a tooth extraction if:
- There’s too much decay on your tooth that cannot be fixed using other alternatives.
- Your tooth is infected causing damage to the tooth or the bone surrounding the tooth.
- Your teeth are too crowded to fit inside your small mouth.
- Your tooth is impacted and is unable to come up. In cases, when your tooth comes partially up, it still doesn’t have room to finish the process, leading to accumulation of bacteria in your gums and causing infection that hurts your jawbone, gums and nearby teeth.
The procedure begins with your dentist evaluating your medical and dental history. This is typically followed by X-rays too see the tooth more clealry. The size, shape, length and position of the tooth is then determined and a thorough study on how the tooth affects the surrounding teeth is compiled.
Once the dentist determines you are a good candidate for tooth extraction, a local anesthetic is delivered to numb the tooth and the area around it. The tooth is then loosened with an elevator and extracted using dental forceps. When the tooth is removed, stitches are conducted on the hole in gum left by missing tooth, while the dentist works on the bone to make it smooth.
How to Make Recovering From an Extraction Easier
Post-extraction, you’ll be asked to bite down on sterile cotton gauge to help stop the bleeding. You’ll be required to stay at a dental office until clotting takes place, which is usually 30 to 45 minutes. Once the bleeding has stopped, you can go home, but will have some rules to follow to make recovery easier.
Here are some tips to follow:
- Do not smoke
- Do not rinse your mouth vigorously
- Do not use a toothbrush near the wound
- Do not floss teeth near the wound
- Do not drink hot fluids
- Do not drink using a straw
- Do not engage in strenuous exercise or activity
- Follow the diet your dentist suggests
While the tooth extraction treatment prohibits you from brushing and flossing, it’s extremely essential to keep the area clean to prevent infection. It’s recommended that you rinse with warm salt water to clean your mouth.
At Affordable Dentist in Crowley, we employ some of the best modern procedures and follow up care for your benefit and comfort. If you or your loved one is in need of a tooth extraction, call us today or fill out our online form to book an appointment.